[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Patch] devfs-pathnames...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Feb 23 16:47:49 CET 2002

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 12:29:25PM +0100, Fredrik Kuivinen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:06:51PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > applied partially.
> > I've changed the configure interface, you need to specify --enable-linux-devfs
> >
> > -
> > alex
> >
> > <200202202035.g1KKZOJb016938 at mplayer.dev.hu>; from thorin at yifan.net on Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:21:23PM +0100
> > > Hi there...
> > >
> > > I'm running a devfs-only-Linux and have only /dev/sound/dsp, no /dev/dsp.
> > > It's always trouble getting anything to handle this correctly. So here is a
> > > tiny patch to collect *at least* the various definitions of "/dev/dsp" and
> > > "/dev/mixer" into config.h. Additionally configure will auto-detect the
> > > existing device and place a line into config.h...
> > >
> > > I might submit some more "devfs-patches" (if you like these at all), while
> > > testing fbdev and all the other output-stuff...
> > >

> Wouldn't it be better to detect this at runtime instead of compiletime? If
> mplayer is going for runtime cpu detection why not go for runtime detection
> of devfs too?

well maybe, but at the time devfs paths are highly nonstandard and
linux-specific, and most distros are either devfs-based or
normal-/dev-based, so the packager could configure mplayer right for
the distro it's being packaged for at compiletime. personally i think
all this devfs support stuff is silly -- if devfs users are properly
running devfsd, they also get entries in /dev that look like the
normal ones.

rich