[MPlayer-dev-eng] was --disable-playtree, and some ideas about mplayer's future

Kis Gergely kisg at lme.linux.hu
Fri Feb 22 22:26:44 CET 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:47:50PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> Kis Gergely didn't RTFM :
> > mplayer '{' 1.avi 2.avi *mpg '}' -vo XXX
> Yes, but this is also less simple than it was before. Anyway, Alban told
> he'd check the stuff.
But in the Unix world, you have programs, that are very flexible. Then you
can "customize" the software for your needs.
Think of: alias ls=ls --color and alias rm=rm -i

I personally think, that the whole mplayer and mencoder functionality should
be implemented in a high level library, with a nice API.

This way everybody can develop his/her own frontend, playlist engine...etc.

If somebody wants to implement a xine clone, using mplayer engine, he could
do it. :-)
If somebody wants to implement a threaded or multiprocess GUI, he could do
it.

As far, as I can see, you are working on this. Of course, this state can't
be reached in one week or month.
I can see, that you are doing a very nice iterative development process. You
don't throw everything out of the window every month, like several opensource
projects. This is very good. Just keep up the good work, and MPlayer will be
a software product, that you can mention in your CV. :-)

About threading: I don't think, that its a big problem, if the functionality is
implemented as a lib. For example in Java the Swing windowing toolkit is not
threadsafe at all. And still, you can use it in your threaded programs, you
only need to use the defined access methods. You could do the same in
mplayer.

Just my 2 fityings, sorry for wasting your time.

Bye,
kisg