[MPlayer-dev-eng] Discussion: integration of DirectX VA API/DLL's in mplayer possible?

Juergen Hammelmann juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 22:05:27 CET 2002

Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2002 21:33 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:55:53PM +0100, Juergen Hammelmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to improve system speed/performance at playing
> > dvd's, mpeg's in linux. mplayer is a great work... but could be much more
> > better with implementing support for hardware acceleration for motion
> > compensation like for ATI cards (I have a Radeon VE).
>
> As far as I remember there's a new extension (?) within latest XFree
> versions, named XVmc or something similar (motion compensation X video).
> Though I don't know anything about it, and of'coz I don't think that it's
> a well-supported and tested feature of XFree ...

yes, but in XvMC is only a driver for the i810 chipset, no other hardware is
supported!

And ATI has introduced a VHA software development kit for linux with closed
binary drivers for the ATI Rage 128, not for the Radeon... the open source
smpeg library from Loki Games CAN use it. The Kit is given only to
registrated developers.

mplayer support of the DirectX VA (DXVA) would be a general solution for
supporting every graphic card...

At the MS Homepage
(http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/stream/DirectX_VA/default.asp) you can
get a paper with the specification of DXVA.

Bye, Jürgen
--
All is well that ends well.
		-- John Heywood

system:  9:54pm  up 17 days,  3:30,  4 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.36, 0.14
--
email: juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de       address: J. Hammelmann, Brühlstr. 6
phone: +49-7034-61578, +49-179-2178869          D-71157 Hildrizhausen, Germany