[MPlayer-dev-eng] Discussion: integration of DirectX VA API/DLL's in mplayer possible?

Juergen Hammelmann juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 15:55:53 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to improve system speed/performance at playing dvd's,
mpeg's in linux. mplayer is a great work... but could be much more better
with implementing support for hardware acceleration for motion compensation
like for ATI cards (I have a Radeon VE).
Because of hardware motion compensation is closed code, and this situation
will not change in near future, maybe, and I don't want to break legal
rights, one way would be to use the new windows dll's
for DirectX VA (Video Acceleration) and implement a layer in mplayer to
support these dll's. This has to be done similar to the windows video codecs,
I think so...

What do you think about this? Would this be unpossible?

This way we can get hardware support of every producer of graphic cards...

Ciao, Jürgen

--
You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.

system:  3:36pm  up 16 days, 21:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.11, 0.09
--
email: juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de       address: J. Hammelmann, Brühlstr. 6
phone: +49-7034-61578, +49-179-2178869          D-71157 Hildrizhausen, Germany