[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio plugins

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 18 14:48:08 CET 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:37:20PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> > anyway the volume setting plugin is a good idea, someone should implement
> > it. then we could move mixer code to libao drivers, and if they report 'no
> > mixer support' we can automagically enable software volume control.
> And make it avaible when the user want it. My sound card don't have pcm
> volume control just the global one. It would be great in such case.

yes please! my card has full control, but i have to turn both pcm and
master all the way up, as well as the physical volume knob, to be able
to hear anything on dvds....and then if i forget to turn it back down
before playing music....well, it's not good.

on a similar note, i'd love to see an audio filter in mplayer for
'fixing' excessive amplitude range in the output, i.e. what lots of
hardware players call "compression". i have to turn the volume all the
way up to hear any of the speech in most dvds, then as soon as there's
gunfire or stuff, the neighbors three doors down can probably hear
it. perhaps some people like this, i dunno, but i just want to watch
my movies in peace.

rich