[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio plugins

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Feb 18 12:42:18 CET 2002

Hi,

> 3. Multi channel EQ.
hmm :)

> I also wrote a proposal of how to auto configure the plugins a few
> weeks ago but no one responded to it, so here it is again:
i don't remember, maybe i missed it :(

> I have been thinking of the audio out and how to configure the sound
> card and selecting audio plugins depending on format of the audio
> stream and the capabilities of the audio device.
>
> I would like to extend the interface to the ao drivers with a new
> function called get_capabilities() or something like that. This

why isn't control() enough?
i really don't like API changes when avoidable...

> function would return a struct containing the limitations of the sound
> card. This information could then be used to select the correct audio
> decoder and audio plugins in order to maximize the sound quality and
> make stuff work automaticly. The scheme would be combined with manual
> override. It would also require some changes in the audio plugins or
> the audio decoders and in mplayer (to get automatic hw ac3 and mpeg
> decoding) if we want everything to auto configure.
>
> Is this a good idea? Please give me your thoughts.
good idea. anyway we shouldn't make it too auto. i mean, don't enable hw
decoding unless user specified it in config file (like hw_audio=auto|yes|no)
as it's very problematic at the momemt. the ac3 passthrough is a big hack,
sending ac3 packets hidden in lpcm packets handled like le16 pcm played at
volume 100%... i don't think it's easily detectable if the card can do taht,
and anyway even if the card has sp/dif mayeb the user has analog system...

anyway the volume setting plugin is a good idea, someone should implement
it. then we could move mixer code to libao drivers, and if they report 'no
mixer support' we can automagically enable software volume control.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team