[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio & video encoding (stream problems?) very slow

Charles Henrich henrich at sigbus.com
Sun Feb 17 23:18:39 CET 2002

On the subject of Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] audio & video encoding (stream
problems?) very slow, D Richard Felker III stated:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:20:07AM -0800, Charles Henrich wrote:
> > Okay, so I have audio/video capture working with this brooktree driver on
> > *bsd.  If I capture just straight video I cn capture to disk w/
> > 384x288 at 25fps divx with no frame loss, no issues.  At 768x576 I can get
> > about 24fps to disk if I do -ovc copy.
> >
> > This is great.  However, If I enable audio capturing, the performance goes
> > into the toilet.  I can only get 2-5fps, I see DEMUXER errors (that I dont
> > really understand), and I get all sorts of headaches.  This happens with
> > lame encoding, as well as -oac copy and -oac pcm.  This tells me there is
> > something "Wrong" in the stream handling code.  Anyone have any
> > ideas/suggestions?
>
> are you using -oac copy, or mp3 encoding? if it's mp3, my first guess would
> be that lame is JUST THAT SLOW. it's really quite bad in terms of speed. try
> -lameopts br=128:cbr:q=9 (constant bitrate, lowest quality, which is still
> considerably better quality that most mp3 encoders) and see if that helps.
> alternatively, use -oac copy.
>
> if you still have problems, it's probably your audio capture code. in any
> case, i would experiment with -oac copy -- that way you don't have as many
> unpredictable factors coming in.

iI've tried that, doesnt help.. Thats why Im a bit confused.  im thinking it
has to be something wrong with how the framesare being packed.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich         Eon Entertainment         henrich at msu.edu

                       http://www.sigbus.com:81/~henrich