[MPlayer-dev-eng] incoming access

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 17 04:39:42 CET 2002

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:32:08PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > CVS-only users now can FTP into MPHQ and access the incoming dir.
> > > Anyway they still don't have valid shell, for security reasons.
> >
> > 	Can you explain how this is different from the way it has always
> > been? I've been able to access the incoming dir ever since you gave me CVS
> > privileges.
>
> you probably got full access to the FTP, including /home/ftp.
> others got limited ftp to /cvsroot only. i've changed them.

would it be possible to hack together a restricted shell that would
allow scp or sftp to work, without full giving users a full-fledged
shell? i would be very hesitant to send my password over ftp, since
the route is 100% open to sniffing for at least a few hops. other
developers may be more confident in their networks' privacy, but
usually such confidence is overconfidence, so it would probably be
best not to encourage (or even allow) use of ftp.

rich