[MPlayer-dev-eng] TODO (mplayer on PPC)

mreda at mac.com mreda at mac.com
Thu Feb 14 05:53:54 CET 2002

On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 03:58  PM, Mike Melanson wrote:

> 	Well, I do have PPC knowledge and I have ASM knowledge. It
> shouldn't be too much of a leap to connect them to have PPC ASM
> knowledge...:) I also have the tools and resources (PPC chip and
> GNU toolchain) necessary to make it happen.
>
> 	What I would need is some direction on what I should be
> optimizing. I know the DCT functions are always good candidates, but I
> admit I still don't know much about specific routines. Any pointers?

Along the lines of PPC optimizations, it looks like libmpeg2 has
included altivec optimizations since September.  It might be worthwhile
to merge these changes into the MPlayer code.  I don't know how
different MPlayer's libmpeg2 is from the stock version, so this might be
harder than it sounds (or very easy).  Any thoughts?

Matt