[MPlayer-dev-eng] TODO

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Feb 12 17:22:49 CET 2002

Hi,

> Make mplayer ready for B-frames!
> Yes, it's finally time: XviD will soon have B-frames support (decoder is
> already running in testing phase). However, B-frames cannot be
> decoder without buffering an extra frame, so codec behaviour is
> different:

> Bytestream 0 (from AVI) IN     ---codec-->       nothing out
> Bytestream 1 (from AVI) IN     ---codec-->       Frame 0 decoded OUT
> Bytestream 2 (from AVI) IN     ---codec-->       Frame 1 decoded OUT
> Bytestream 3 (from AVI) IN     ---codec-->       Frame 2 decoded OUT
>
> in B-frame decoding mode (encoding is much more difficult...).
> This may cause A-V sync problems (is one frame difference recognizable?)

hmm. why don't you encode both frame 0 and frame 1 into a single chunk?
i can implement this in mplayer, but i think you want to keep compatibility
with all players, including WMP, and i doubt M$ will add such fature for you

> Since MPEG2 uses B-frames, too... is MPlayer prepared to handle this
> for AVI files? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know any other AVI-codec
> that uses B-frames.
mencoder is able to streamcopy even mpg files to .avi, but it is handled by
mpeg es parser (mpeg ES embedded into avi instead of PS).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team