[MPlayer-dev-eng] A few thought about console vo driver

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Feb 12 09:10:25 CET 2002

Hi D Richard Felker III,

on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:52:14 -0500 you wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm currently writing a gpm mouse driver for my input system and had to figth a little
> > with vo_fbdev (gpm don't work in graphic mode) and I saw that the fbdev driver
> > have some code for video mode switching. And this fired a question in my brain,
> > why does this code is only avaible for fbdev, it can be useful for other console
> > drivers. Because even with hw scaling 320x200 => 1024x768 look ugly.
> > Is there any reason to not do a console_common.c and put this in all console
> > driver (at least when it's a fb console) ?
> > Also I thought it's perhaps possible to add fullscreen/resolution switching
> > (throw the new vo->control interface) to have "all" vo driver do what f and c
> > keys do with vo sdl.
> > Keep in mind these are just suggestions ;)
>
> i would recommend against using gpm for fbdev and other console based
> vo modules. right now, they're entirely independent of actually being
> connected to a virtual terminal as their controlling tty; for example,
> i always run mplayer from inside my screen session, and it's even
> possible to run it on x with fbdev or mga vo, as long as your x server
> is configured to cooperate with the framebuffer device properly.
>
> i'm not too familiar with libgpm, but i don't think it would be
> possible to make mplayer work with libgpm intelligently without having
> a virtual console as a controlling terminal. also, out of curiosity,
> what's the use of mouse control for mplayer?
	Completness !!!!! I added mouse support in new input after somebody
	send a mouse patch for SDL. I thought mouse support was not so useful
	but if somebody as take time to write a patch, it's useful at least to 1 ppl ;).
	And then I thought, why not also on the console. But gpm is problematic
	because it need to have a non-graphic (not even xterm) tty so it will
	never be enabled by default, don't worry.
		Albeu
		Albeu