[MPlayer-dev-eng] problems with avi file demuxer?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Feb 10 00:09:18 CET 2002

Hi,

> i just tried to implement seeking in mencoder (to allow encoding to
> start somewhere other than the beginning of the file) based very
> loosely on the awful "modific" patch a while back, but without all the
> bad changes. however, i encountered a problem that didn't occur in
> "modific" -- mencoder segfaults when trying to framecopy audio from an
> avi file. i traced the problem to a change in libmpdemux/demux_avi.c:
> a recently uncommented call to resync_audio_stream(sh_audio);

hmm. at -oac copy, if all stream inclo (bitrate, channels, samplearte) is
present in headers (usually, except for mpeg files) then it will NOT initialize
the audio codec (to avoid eating first bytes of audio stream needed for
format detecting, codec buffers etc) so sync request to codec may sig11...

possible workaround: don't skip audio codec initialization if seeking used.
it won't be problem, as seeking will resync audio stream, won't lose any
bytes of audio.

> is this call absolutely necessary, and if so, can someone familiar
> with it take a look and try to figure out what's wrong with it? i'm
> attaching a patch (which also comments out that line in the demuxer)
> to assist in debugging. let me know if you find a solution to this
> issue -- i'll wait to commit the patch til then.
you forgot the attacs

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
"I don't RTFM? Wow. What's the meaning of this? It's new for me."
	-- Martin Baum, a tipical MPlayer user...