[MPlayer-dev-eng] cpuid vs 386 vs 486

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Feb 7 14:53:16 CET 2002

Hi!

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:00:37PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> I liked this *feature* of tasm, and used a lot. And it's missing from nasm.
> Nasm has only a single type of label: offset. no size of labels, so while
> tasm detected and printed warning about wrong label size (aka. cast type
> mismatch in C) nasm compiles bad code.

<flame>I don't want the assembler to think. I want to produce opcodes exactly
I wrote. (it's another question in a compiler, but it's an assembler).</flame>
BTW afaik this is the main concept of NASM. So this is not a bug, it's
feature ;-)

> tasm is a bit intelligent compared to very raw and strict nasm.

Note that windows is often considered more intelligent compared to a 'raw
and ugly shell where you have to type to do anthing' ;-)

Well, imho it's time to move to mplayer-flame ;-)

I think NASM is a quite good assembler but it's not a high level language.
It will generate opcode you typed. Nothing more or less ...
However it's not bad that you want to have something like masm/tasm.
Imho they're two seperate things (based on different theories) and cannot
be compared easily from some point of view ...

> i like intelligent compilers... if i need just nasm-like, i may write HEX
> numbers instead of asm.
>
> do you remember BAPC3 ? It was built over tasm, and provided C-like
> language.

Yeah ;-)

- Gábor