[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Re: [gnu.org #15276] MPlayer GPL Violation

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Dec 31 16:52:41 CET 2002

auto33187 at hushmail.com schrieb:
> - ----- Forwarded Message from Dave Turner via RT <license-violation at fsf.org> -----
>
> We're not copyright holders on MPlayer, so we can't do anything about
> this.  But we're happy to work with the MPlayer copyright holders to fix
> the problems.  Please let them know this.

I remember Gabucino raising the topic to transfer copyright to the FSF
some time ago..  Worth rethinking?

>>There is a company called helius (http://www.helius.com/) that has taken the mplayer source code and modified it and is now selling it as proprietary software for multicast video on demand.
>>
>>Check it out: http://www.helius.com/products/hva.html
>>
>>It doesn't mention mplayer in the tech specs, but it uses a hacked-up version of mplayer for playback.  There "chief scientist" has admitted as much but seems to think that a "substantial rewrite" of the mplayer code makes it proprietary, thus negating the GPL...

That's obviously a load of bullshit.  If this is true we need to come
down on these guys.  The FSF will apparently help us here and if it
cannot be solved quietly we can always let slashdot loose on them...

But first I guess we need some further evidence.  Do you have that product?

Dave Turner (or whoever listens at license-violation at fsf.org), what's
the best course of action in a situation like this?  We would appreciate
your help.

Regards

Diego Biurrun