[MPlayer-dev-eng] OT: planar rgb support

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Dec 31 00:27:11 CET 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:25:47PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> ah, that packed RGB -> planar RGB conversion...
>
> we really need planar RGB in/out support, as there are JPEG variants
> (by Adobe) using that...
>
> maybe a future version of Michael's great SwScaler will support that :)

Well, would it be acceptable to start adding support for new colorspaces
after the code freeze is over?  I could write simple C only, I'm no good
at asm optimization.  But later on someone could write optimized version
and ifdef it?

Things I'd like to see added: (special purpose, I know...)
  planar RGB
  indexed RGB (dithered?)

I could add a dithering algorithm like the one used in libgif to do
the indexing, only this one would use data structures that work better
with MPlayer that libgif does.  Is this worthwhile?

--Joey