[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: rc2 is out

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Dec 25 19:23:52 CET 2002

Hi,

> >yes, i want to avoid people creating unplayable files and then push us to
> >fix them ...
>
> You are right, I agree. :)   However MPlayer still creates unplayable
> files (AVI with mpeg1 video) so add that patch wouldn't be worse. :)

not really. mpeg1 (mpeg-ES) frames in AVI container are valid, and even some
windows video editors can handle (even create) it.

actually even AVI files using the ATI VCR1/2 codec are mpeg-in-avi files.

> >> It's ok, may be I or someone else make it better. :)
>
> >i would recommend re-using the mpeg muxer code from either libfame or
> >libmp1e. they're well written, standard compliant, even VCD players eat it.
> >muxing correct mpeg-ps is not trivial at all, and even the mpeg std is
> >unclear at some points.
>
> Hehe... libfame has no muxer code at all, it just produces MPEG1 video
hmm. libfame is the encoder only but i remember seeing a tv capturing
program using libfame and roducing standard mpeg1 files (with sound)...
maybe it's Zapping or so.

> stream. Beside if I could find any working muxer code then I think to
> transfer it into mencoder source will be a great headache. ;)
yes, but at least you will get a working well-tested muxer code.

> P.S. BTW, I've thought about splitting aviwrite.c into muxer_avi.c and
> muxer_mpeg.c, and renaming aviwrite.* to muxer.*, it would help to add
> new muxers (qt, ogm, etc.) in future. What do you think about it?
good idea, do it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team