[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sugested additions to the FAQ

Anders Johansson ajh at watri.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 19 05:48:20 CET 2002

Hi,

I got som FAQ item suggestions from a local user:

-------

I was having difficulty in getting gmplayer working, it would half start
but wasn't displaying anything

Setup:
i created /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default/skin/*
replace * with the files from the proton skin. to try and put proton as
the default skin without specifying it on the command line/conf file.
Problem:
run gmplayer (without a ~/.mplayer/gui.conf or a skin definition in the
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf) with the above done and it doesn't get past
the below line on startup.
"Skin dir 2: /usr/share/mplayer/Skin"
Solution: Insert a skin=proton in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf or other
skin definition and everything works.

Problem: Building the debian package.
Solution: add certain packages (ie debhelper) that weren't defined
originally. ill work these out once i rebuild my box.

Problem: Sound didn't work right with the artsd initially.
Solution: add some arts library's (which i can't remember) and recompile
mplayer. Important bit was the ./configure must show support for arts
before you can use it.

Problem:  mplayer -ao help doesn't list the module you need (ie arts)
Solution: add the libraries and recompile the package.

-------

I am not sure if they are good or not since I am not using any of the
above mentioned software.

//Anders