[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorenson 3 encoding :)))))

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Mon Dec 16 17:40:42 CET 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:12:37 +0100
Balatoni Denes <pnis at coder.hu> wrote:

> [ Reply moved to bottom to improve readability ]
>
> >- Hello, Gabor.
> >
> > Thanks for your questions.
> >
> > If someone wants to make an MPEG-4 video encoder/decoder, yes, they have
> > to pay a license fee.  That includes non-profit (open source).
>
> Hi!
>
> So maybe now would be the right time to start printing
> the "Free Arpi" t-shirts ?
>
> hehe
> bye
> Denes

I don't think so. After all, the mplayer project did not create
a mpeg4 codec, it only uses it, which should make a big difference.

But the ffmpeg/xvid/etc people could be in trouble but I think that
Mpeg comitee doesn't know them or ignores them. So maybe its not
right but no one cares. Hope this stays like this. But if this changes
I pitty them.

Btw: does anyone know how much license fees they want? I dont want
to write them a mail in order not to wake them up/push them to a
reaction.

bye
Clemens