[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorenson 3 encoding :)))))

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Dec 16 15:00:46 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 03:32, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I should say 'we did it again' again :)
> > > So, thanks to Sascha Sommer, you can encode using the SVQ3 codec :)
> > > yes, to .AVI container, so it's a bit tricky and can't be played with
> > > quicktime :)  (time to write .mov muxer!)
> > > actually only mplayer can play it...
> > > and actually it's useless, lavc easily beats it in quality and speed,
> > > but it's just for fun.
> >
> > and a bit legally problematic :-)))
>
> why??
>
> we didn't crack their dll, or so...
> we use their legal, documented (by them) API to run the encoder, contained
> in a .qtx file shipped wiht the free version (not the pro one) of qt6 player.
> if it's illegal to use the quicktime API, then what is the purpose of it? :)

ok, i'm really interested in this topic, so:

that means you didn't do any debugging of the dlls to find out how they
work etc? ( like it was done for the realplayer ones? )..

> > btw. talking about lavc.....
> >
> > lavc does mpeg4, right?
> mpeg4 too :)
> besides wmv1, h263 etc
>
> > so who'll pay the mpeg4 comittee ( or what's their name )  the license
> > fees? :-))
> nobody. or the users.

btw. if anyone is interested i sent a mail to the mpeg4 whatever , the
mail is below:

Hello, Gabor.

Thanks for your questions.

If someone wants to make an MPEG-4 video encoder/decoder, yes, they have
to pay a license fee.  That includes non-profit (open source).

An additional royalty for the right to use the encoder/decoder is
payable by the video provider where the video provider offers MPEG-4
video for remuneration.  The use royalty to be paid by the video
provider (or in the case of Unique Use video, by the service provider)
authorizes the consumer's use of the encoder/decoder.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Larry Horn
Vice President, Licensing