[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorenson 3 encoding :)))))

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Dec 16 03:32:28 CET 2002

Hi,

> > I should say 'we did it again' again :)
> > So, thanks to Sascha Sommer, you can encode using the SVQ3 codec :)
> > yes, to .AVI container, so it's a bit tricky and can't be played with
> > quicktime :)  (time to write .mov muxer!)
> > actually only mplayer can play it...
> > and actually it's useless, lavc easily beats it in quality and speed,
> > but it's just for fun.
>
> and a bit legally problematic :-)))

why??

we didn't crack their dll, or so...
we use their legal, documented (by them) API to run the encoder, contained
in a .qtx file shipped wiht the free version (not the pro one) of qt6 player.
if it's illegal to use the quicktime API, then what is the purpose of it? :)

> btw. talking about lavc.....
>
> lavc does mpeg4, right?
mpeg4 too :)
besides wmv1, h263 etc

> so who'll pay the mpeg4 comittee ( or what's their name )  the license
> fees? :-))
nobody. or the users.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team