[MPlayer-dev-eng] embedding mplayer into a gtk widget

David Toso dtoso at optushome.com.au
Sat Dec 14 06:57:26 CET 2002

Hello mplayer developers,

David Toso, the butcher of mplayer returns :-)

D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
 > There's no need for a special vo for widget use, and in fact it's a
 > bad idea since that would prevent use of different vo's like xmga, xv,
 > x11, etc. Instead just use -wid. Someone reported it's broken, but if
 > that's the case, -wid should be fixed.

It was me, although I didn't say it was broken, but rather that I had never
been able to make it work.

To which Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> In fact it works (for me) with xv, not x11 nor xvidix for example.
> But this could also be my code buggy :)

For the love of god man! How did you get it to work?!?
Specifically, what kind of window/surface can I use, when I pass its
window id to mplayer via -wid?

I had tried x11, xv, sdl:xv, sdl:x11, dxr3... all with no luck.

Even with this information, it will not help me with my current
endeavour (thread is marked 'Re: changing file mid-playback') as
I don't actually have a suitable surface & window id to actually
pass, but I'm _sure_ I'll need this information at some later point.

David Toso.