[MPlayer-dev-eng] embedding mplayer into a gtk widget

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Dec 13 20:28:41 CET 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 06:00:19PM +0100, Stéphane Konstantaropoulos wrote:
> Le ven 13/12/2002 ? 03:53, D Richard Felker III a écrit :
> > Why not just make the widget run an external mplayer process with the
> > -wid option to put mplayer in its window?
> >
> > Rich
>
> No, I am actually doing a whole fork of mplayer, in order to have a real
> gnome application at the end, i then need to rewrite the main.

It's a somewhat dumb idea ... At last, if you don't want to maintain
a WHOLE fork, it will be a hard process. I mean: Arpi and other developers
implement demuxer for some new format or anything which may modify MPlayer's
source tree deeper, then you should port these features from MPlayer to
your fork otherwise your port will be outdated. Instead you should think
about integration. So, you can write a -vo or something for putting output
into a Gtk Widget. Then you may want to send patches, with some optional
(eg: configure option) Makefile modification to be able to compile MPlayer
as a shared library, and give options with function calls instead of command
line switches. Ok it was just a stupid example, but my point is that a fork
is not a good idea in general (of course there're expections).

- Gábor (larta'H)