[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slideshow

Herman Tamas hermantom at dunasoft.com
Thu Dec 12 16:59:42 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:34:49 -0500
"Daniel A. Nagy" <nagydani at mast.queensu.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:37:28AM +0100, Herman Tamas wrote:
>
> > begin eof? while
> >   nextsub subpos@ >frameno seekmovie get-frame
> >   decode-frame sub>osd frame2jpeg write-jpg
> > repeat
>
> 3-4-5: This just stinks. All that information is available to mplayer when
> playing the movie, thus I was effectively replicating already existing
> mplayer functionality. Doing these steps, I actually understood, how mplayer

replicating code should have not happened in this case if mplayer
would have been designed better. of course the constant feature
requests hardly allows redesigns & so rewrites. but.. redesigning
more often could decrease the pain of rewriting code. sadly C code
is error prone... im not sure wheather is it worth 2 replace widely
tested & so approved code w a more efficient & bright code what
incarnates a more optimal & clearer sw architecture if its written
in C...

anyway, platform independency is a nice thing. but trying 2
gain it w that support what C provides us... well... im not sure
again wheather its the way 2 go. dont ask me what is it then.
idont know either. BUT.. im actively researching this problem
domain. just have a look @ the above code example. doesnt it
look like clean,short&easy2read? doesnt it look like portable?...

note: 2 avoid misunderstanding. reusing code @ src level is not
a bad thing @ all. its just definitely the best way in case of
small pieces of code. its better & also give better performance
than abstracting that code snippet & design some api 4 it,
probably w some parameters left open 4 larger flexibility.
transplanting code is a very smart idea - again in case of
small code snippets - if u also have 2 modify it slightly.
but in our very example it wasnt the case, i guess so..

> After doing this, I decided to implement the functionality myself (without

<sigh>

> asking how to do it), and hacked up the jpeg driver to export only given
> frames (while playing the whole movie). This way, the subtitles were in
> place. But it's still very ugly. Hence my question to the list.

hmm......