[MPlayer-dev-eng] html docs & localized man not installed by default ?

nico n at tourmentine.com
Tue Dec 10 18:33:00 CET 2002

hi,

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the Makefile always install the
defaut man page.
i.e. if i use the fr_FR locale (and the -language=fr option as well), i expect
the man to be installed to:
$PREFIX/man/fr/man1/mplayer.1 or
$PREFIX/man/fr_FR/man1/mplayer.1
...but according to the Makefile, only the default DOCS/mplayer.1 is
installed, and only in $PREFIX/man/man1/:

$(INSTALL) -c -m 644 DOCS/mplayer.1 $(MANDIR)/man1/mplayer.1

imho i think it should be very easy to had some parameter for the localized
versions, but what environment variable should be used ? the old ${LINGUAS}
var, or maybe $LANG ? btw $LANG's value is "fr_FR" on my system, witch
doesn't match the DOCS/fr directory :-(

another point about the docs: the html docs aren't installed at all!
it could be an issue for people deleting the source directory after
installation, or worse, people using binary packages.
even if the docs are available directly on MPlayer's website ;-)

in this case i don't know if we should use the $(MANDIR) var, or create a
$(DOCDIR) var ?

thanks for reading this, and forgive me for my (so) bad english.

regards,
nicolas