[MPlayer-dev-eng] Any papers on virtual surround?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at hut.fi
Sun Dec 8 10:53:30 CET 2002

Hi,

The subject says most of it, but has anyone seen any information
about how to properly implement virtual surround (5.1 downmixing
to 2 channels, trying to make a surroundish experience using
all the information for 5 speakers)? I know no hi-fist likes those,
but for an ordinary person with only two speakers e.g. PowerDVD's
TruSurround does make notable difference (and in a positive way).

I used to think that no processing is a good thing, but now I'm
more thinking that a lot of processing is done in my head anyway,
and if the final result is better I won't complain.

There's a little information in a horribly designed page at:
http://www.eagleinc.com/Theater2techspecs.html

..though I do not know how much of it is other than marketing.
The page describes a hw-implementation of TruSurround.

---snip---
TruSurround is based on the same principles of SRS Labs Sound Retrieval
System Stereo enhancement technology. Relying on the natural hearing
system of human beings, SRS was able to identify the frequency response of
any sound in a particular point in space surrounding one's head. By
extracting spatial cues from various signal components (known as the
difference channel) found in the audio source, then processing these
specific cues through the patented process, a much fuller, vibrant sound
image is achieved. The end result of this SRS processed stereo source, was
a much more natural sounding, stereo sound image.
---snip---

-TJ