[MPlayer-dev-eng] codecs

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Aug 31 23:29:40 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > imho the first step would be adding tis to the demuxer you want to use. for
> > mov it's demux_mov.c. what file format and codecs are you interested?
>
> I would like to do it in an RTP stream (unicast), but I am leary of the
> real.com C++ implementation.  I much prefer C.  Once I get it implemented
so you'll use the live.com libs (do they support in-stream codec change?)
or do you plan to extend teh current rpt:// support of mplayer ?

> in the demuxer what else needs to be done?

if only teh codec changes, it's easier, if the filemormat too, then it's
more difficult.

one way is just restaring the playback process at codec changes (like you
have multiple files in a playlist) but it may have visual effect/flicker
depending on the vo driver being used.

for using multiple codecs for constant demuxer, and switching between them
in-stream, you should init all the codecs at the beginning and make some
switching when the decoder function is called.

the libmpcodecs part should be reentrant (maybe except the win32 codecs)
but i'm afraid the others, especialy the mplayer.c code needs some design
changes.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team