[MPlayer-dev-eng] man page format

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sat Aug 31 16:49:26 CEST 2002

Hi

Actually this mail was ment for Diego but I'm happy about any
input. ;)

I worked a bit on the man page and got the following format.
It produces at least acceptable groff output. It looks a bit
ulgy as Mozilla always adds a newline after a <p> -> after
suboption title. Check it out and comment (just see -cdda
option, the rest didn't change yet).

Some comments:
    - RSx defined at beginning
    - suboptions handled this way:

[...]
Available options are:
.RS 10

subopt1
.RSx
description
.RE

subopt2
.RSx
description
.RS +2
sub descr1
.RE
.RS +2
sub descr2
.RE
[...]
.RE

[...]
end of suboptx
.RE
.RE
.TP
[...]

The main problem is the cryptic/messy/disordred view of the
sources (-> problem for man page writers). I tried other things
too (tbl), but the result was not that good.

IMHO:
    - it should be all the same for all suboptions -> OK
      -> spacing from left is always same
      -> always newline before new suboption
    - we should solve the disturbing window view problem -> OK
      (except synopsis but that's a smaler problem)
      -> now you just have to add a rule like keep a line under
         80 but nothing like design/etc...

Sure more things. Unfortunately I don't have much time left at
the moment (it's the reason I sent an unfinished version).

Regards
    Jonas