[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist round 3

Morten Volden mvolden at tdcadsl.dk
Sat Aug 31 13:47:20 CEST 2002

Hello

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>Hello again!
>
>Seems like the wishlist is settling down a little.  Now we need to
>know how to present this.  Arpi suggested wishlist.html to be added to
>the docs and thus the webpage, Michael said we might put it into a
>table where every developer can add his name next to each item if he
>wishes to tackle it.  We should probably combine this and put a
>prominent link somewhere on the web page, so that somebody sees this
>and starts hacking away ;)

A suggestion: The wishlist could then be used as a sort of project
planning tool to guide the development of MPlayer. The items in the
wihslist could be divided into catagories after wich release of MPlayer
they are planned for.

IMHO this could promote the stability of the code by giving the
developers a better overview of the progress. This will help them to
determine when to stop adding new features and start getting the bugs
out of the code.Which in the end would result in faster reaching the
'final' release insted of still being stuck whith that dredded 'pre99' :-)

Some items for the wishlist:

- A GUI for mencoder
- An official logo for MPlayer (If one doesn't exist allready. Under the
screenshot section (Mac osX shot) I saw that someone had put Tux into
the 'news button' on the mplayer home page, IMHO that looked pretty good)
- A link from the menubar in the left side of the homepage to the
documentation

- A reduced number of paragraph levels in the mplayer documentation.
Currently it is 5, IMHO 3 is usually sufficient and will provide a much
better overview when looking at the table of contents. Advanteges better
overview, less RTFM overflow. Disadvanteges: Requires an extensive
overhaul of the documentation. If people feel very strongly for the 5
levels, then another option could be just to reduce the table of
contents to 3 levels (Personally I prefer the first solution)

Regards

Morten Volden