[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist round 3

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 30 04:31:55 CEST 2002

Hello again!

Seems like the wishlist is settling down a little.  Now we need to
know how to present this.  Arpi suggested wishlist.html to be added to
the docs and thus the webpage, Michael said we might put it into a
table where every developer can add his name next to each item if he
wishes to tackle it.  We should probably combine this and put a
prominent link somewhere on the web page, so that somebody sees this
and starts hacking away ;)

At the top of my personal list is still:

 * Rewrite divx4_vbr.c to end all license troubles

Come on, this should not be very difficult, the file is small and
would probably greatly help the adoption in all major distributions..
I'm willing to make a donation to the person implementing this.  Yes,
this is serious, just start negotiating the donation you would like to
have.

Here is the updated list:

Difficult stuff:

 * reverse engineer SVQ3

 * reverse engineer divx audio/wma

 * reverse engineer QDM2 audio codec

 * reverse engineer realplayer atrc audio codec

 * stay in pause after seek, fullscreen etc

 * write sthg like mptv to replace xawtv

 * write a c implementation of rtsp (redundant)

 * real mmsu:// support

 * encode to mpg, ogm, mp4, asf

 * develop new video overlay interface (something like vidix but with
   less idiotic interface and more compatible with Xv for easier
   driver porting)

 * scale playback speed

 * xinerama video filter that splits movie to 2 screens (like zr)

 * top notch DVD navigation like a hardware player

Small improvements:

 * vo mga should completely blank the screen like fbdev and tdfxfb
   (maybe there should be an option - some people seem to like it the
   way it is, but then fbdev should also behave like this..)

 * fix configure to detect cygwin properly
   (config.mak needs to be edited by hand currently)

 * Debian package creates mplayer.conf.1 .2 ...

 * -vo fbdev -fb device ---> -fbdev:device

 * accept -dvd 9-12 command line

 * specify suboptions in a config file without braking playback (use
   channel 21 if using -tv, same idea for -vop, -aop, etc...)

 * better xscreensaver implementation

Documentation:

 * a nice and complete MEncoder tutorial

 * continue docs review

 * check docs for completeness

 * write documentation HOWTO/rules document

 * make the manpage readable on 80 column consoles without needing to
   manually refit table columns

 * New german documentation maintainer ;)

Filters:

 * eq filter should support RGB in addition to YUV

 * drop-deinterlace plugin

 * hue, saturation sw eq filters

 * implement gamma correcture filter

Bug fixes:

 * fix mf ijpg encoding

 * fix crashing DLLs

Cleanup:

 * move -dump* options to mencoder

 * integrate dvdnav into mplayer structure

 * integrate libmpdvdkit2 into mplayer structure (message system and
   command line options)

 * remove all obsolete code, options, files etc

 * modularize all VOs, AOs, as well as audio/video codecs/filters like
   vidix drivers; it'd make the main binary smaller and packager's job
   easier

 * move zoran jpeg encoder to video filters

Enhancements:

 * adapt colored output from MPlayerXP

 * merge VIDIX from MPlayerXP

 * finish Alban Bedel's OSD menu

 * SSA style & colors handling

 * plugin structure for vop/aop

 * support for VirtualDub and Winamp plugins

 * implement xawtv config file parser (for channels, etc)

 * finish icc support

 * G400 2nd head through mga_vid ;)

 * dts support

 * do more things automagically