[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist round 2

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Thu Aug 29 12:46:45 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 09:47:29AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> >  * integrate dvdnav into mplayer structure
>
> why???

I wrote some explanations (for libmpdvdkit2 too)...
I just don't like the dvdnav support, it's buggy and doesn't fit
to the current structure at all as it does all itself instead of
using mplayer's functions (for example). There are many
possibilities IMHO:

  - let it as it is -> It will never replace xine or ogle...
  - wait for the new mplayer structure (in 10 years ;)
  - try to integrate it in current structure (separate the
    parts, let things be handled by mplayer instead of libdvdnav)
  - completely rewrite it from beginning ;)
  - remove it

Probably 1. will be the case, but that's what awish list is for ;)

> >  * integrate libmpdvdkit2 into mplayer structure
> it's already there

As commented in the first mail, I ment the message system and
some command line options. The messages could/should be changed to
mp_msg and the output of the used methode (at least with -v)
would be nice too (should be possible to specify thorugh command
line too).
But: It will probably make it more difficult to upgrade libmpdvdkit
in future to newer versions of libdvdread and libdvdcss.

> >  * adapt colored output from MPlayerXP

I'm working on this and on Nick's msg filter but I'm really
newbie on this. At least I get the output, but the integration
isn't clean ;) I would just simplify the MSGT_* to sthg like in
mplayerxp (the define idea at the beginning of the files isn't
bad too IMHO) but this would need changes to many files and will
make it difficult to create a patch for current cvs.
Additionaly it should be optional IMHO.
I got it working for me but it has it's problems too:
I got a terminal with a background picture (from desktop). The
colored output just always replaces it with a black background :(

Regards
    Jonas