[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: RTSP/RTP streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 07:36:23 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 06:22 pm, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> > > Not yet (the code currently has the ability to send RTP packets over
> > > the TCP connection, but not yet receive such packets).  However, this
> > > is on my "to do" list, and when I've implemented this, I'll add it to
> > > the "mplayer" RTSP support.
> >
> >Do you have a ETA for that? (approximatly...)
>
> No not yet.  The updates to the LIVE.COM libraries that are the highest
> priority (apart from serious bug fixes) are those that are requested by
> paying clients.  (So, if your organization is interested in providing
> funding for this work, please let me know :-)

Eheh, unfortunatly not.
But if you need help when you do the interleaved implementation,
especially the QT one, I can give you some info.
Anyway, you don't have any idea on the ETA, like >1month
or <6months, something like that?

> > > Right now you would need to modify the RTSP client code (in the
> > > LIVE.COM libraries) to do this.  However, I think it would be a good
> > > idea to allow RTSP clients (such as "mplayer") to set the "User-Agent",
> > > so I'll try to add support for this soon.
> >
> >Not only set the mplayer user agent, but also fake the WMPlayer user-agent
> > for WMP9 soon to be released.
>
> Does WMP use RTSP at all?? I thought it used only M$'s proprietary
> protocols?

The new M$ corona stuff, that should be release in next month.
See attachement for a sample of the RTSP TCP & UDP transaction with
the new client/server.

> >I also need to be able to set any kind of field in all RTSP requests
> >(DESCRIBE, SETUP, PLAY...) on mplayer code side.
>
> Why do you need to do this?  The RTSP client implementation (in the
> LIVE.COM libraries) should be setting the RTSP protocol fields
> correctly.  Apart from fields like "User-Agent" that are specific to the
> particular type of client, what RTSP field(s) do you want to be able to set
> or modify from the client, and why?

To put proprietary fields like in the MS stuff. I guess QT and Real has there
own field too. So if you want to add stuff that was not meant to be done in
the RFC you can do it. I didn't say it was it was a good idea to do so, but
it can be usefull to connect on RTSP server that require those extra fields.

> This is a serious question.  Note that the RTSP client functionality
> (implemented by the LIVE.COM libraries) are being used in many applications
> (not just "mplayer"), so I'm interested in learning if there's any need for
> a richer API to this code.

See the attach, that should give you a good idea on what Real and the new MS
stuff do. Unfortunatly I don't have a QT session under my hand, but I'm
guessing they have some extra field too. If you are interesting, I will try
to make a QT RTSP UDP/TCP session so you can see the extra fields and
the wierd way QT do the RTP/TCP.

Let me know what you think.

Bertrand
PS: if you want Corona server to test against, MSNBC use them...
[mms|http|rtsp]://od-msnbc.msnbc.com/msnbc/video/100/dl_kotb_kids_020813.asf