[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Wed Aug 28 15:11:42 CEST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:50:34PM +0200, anders at gnulinux.dk wrote:
> * Jonas Jermann <jjermann at gmx.net> [2002-08-28 12:18:27]:
> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:02:50PM +0200, anders at gnulinux.dk wrote:
> > > * Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> [2002-08-28 03:00:35]:

> > > It could be nice if MPlayer could automaticly detect more things and
> > > enable them, like the automatic -ni.
> >
> > It's in cvs afaik :)
>
> That was what I meant, we need more of that.

oh, sorry :))

> Also why can't mplayer use
> some kind of algorithm to play the right dvd title? Sometimes dvd's start
> at title 1, sometimes title 12. Hardware dvd players can do this, why
> can't mplayer? :)

Now, I'm 100% on your side :)))
I was always for a title guess and did a big research on ifo
structure. There is nothing afaik that indicates the "right"
title key. You have to guess. After some search I found
dvdbackup, but it's still not enough, as on some dvds I have the
main titel_s_ from 7-12 or sthg like this (btw: over 80% of my
dvds don't start at title id 1). I therefore would welcome the
possibility to specify many titles (-dvd 7-12).

What I don't understand is how the hw players do this. Probably
they use a guess too (longest title). Or a hiden clue to the
right title. There is maybe a chance in using the menu
_operations_ as a base (I didn't looked at those, they seem
really cryptic ;).

Any clue on this?

Regards
    Jonas