[MPlayer-dev-eng] Problem decoding a H.263+ stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Aug 24 01:51:03 CEST 2002

[This is really a question for the developer(s) of the "ffmpeg" codec
library, but Fabrice Bellard has not yet responded to my email to him.  So,
I wonder if anyone on this mailing list is familiar with the "ffmpeg"
H.263(+) decoding software, and can help me out here.]

As you know, I have recently modified the "mplayer" media player to play
RTP streams: <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>.  However, I find that when I
try playing a H.263+ video stream, mplayer is crashing in the "ffmpeg"
codec.  The problem is occurring halfway through the first video
frame.  The codec successfully decodes about half of the macroblocks in the
first frame (this first frame is an "I" frame, of course), but then
encounters an error.

The error is occuring in the call to get_vlc2() at line 2696 of
"h263.c".  This call is returning -1, which causes the macroblock decode to
fail, which subsequently triggers the error concealment code (which then
causes a crash, because this is the first frame, and there's no 'previous'
frame at this point).

Unfortunately, I don't yet know enough about the H.263+ codec to know for
sure why macroblock decoding is failing halfway through the first
frame.  So, I wonder if anyone who's familiar with this code could find the
time to build the new "mplayer" (with RTP streaming support), and
demonstrate this error for themselves.

If you build the LIVE.COM libraries and "mplayer" (following the
instructions at <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>), and run
     mplayer -fps 15
rtsp://darwin.horizonlive.com:554/finlayson/sample-h263-ulaw-8000.mov
you should see the error occur.

	Ross.