[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mplayer and xscreensaver problems

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Aug 22 21:28:05 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 12:53:22PM -0400, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> I've communicated with xscreensaver author and he made rather good point
> that mplayer should periodically issue "wake-up" commands to xscreensaver
> rather terminating and restarting it.
> I have a simple patch to implement such technique, the only thing I have
> trouble doing is letting xscreensaver behave regularly when mplayer is
> paused.

And I made the point that xscreensaver should have the feature to
optionally look for a configurable list of X clients connected to the
X server (such as movie players) and never start the screen saver if
any of those are running. It makes MUCH more sense than requiring
every movie player to know how to properly disable the screensaver
program, or perform awful hacks like the one you mentioned.

Rich