[MPlayer-dev-eng] Plugin for Graphics in Music Playing Mode

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Aug 19 08:49:45 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:53:45AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> this is the main problem.
> as soon as compressed audio/video left the demuxer, they
> never meet again. audio goes to audio codec, then audio
> filters and finally audio out. same for video.
>
> no way to use audio data for generating video data.
>
> so, to implement it you have to do messy hacks or make
> big architectural changes in the code.
>
> i like your idea, but i don't even have idea how to
> implement it cleanly in mplayer design.

           DEMUXER
STREAM -------+------> AUDIO-stream ----> AUDIO-decoder -------> AO
              |                                |
              |                                +--> VEplugin ----+
              +------> VIDEO-stream ----> VIDEO-decoder -------> VO

(VEplugin=VisualEffectPlugin [based on audio])

Normally, if no VIDEO stream presents, VEplugin can controll VO, or even if
we can initalize multiple VOs, we can play audio&video through selected AO
and VO _and_ some other VO to present some visual effect on audio (like fourier
based freq analizing or whatever)

The trick is only that AUDIO decoder layer can produce decoded audio stream for
both of AO and VEplugin.

BTW, this is a hard guess 5 minutes after awake in the morning ... :)

- Gábor (larta'H)