[MPlayer-dev-eng] dynamic loaded video filters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Aug 18 02:24:58 CEST 2002

I've been considering writing a vf module that dlopen's a library
containing a video filter, then replaces itself with what it just
loaded. Source for dynamic loaded vf's would be identical to static
ones; the dl filter would just look for vf_info_[modulename] and use
it to bootstrap the module.

The benefits of this would be that it would allow experimental
filters, or filters that are useful to just a few people but don't
actually belong in mplayer itself, to be used without modifying the
mplayer codebase.

It should be really simple to implement; I just want to check and make
sure this is a desirable/acceptable feature to be included in mplayer
before I bother writing it. Also, naturally it will be excluded if the
user's system doesn't have a working libdl.

Rich