[MPlayer-dev-eng] Announce dvdbackup and a new version of the DVD-Video burning Howto

Olaf Beck olaf_sc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 11:03:27 CEST 2002

Hello Arpi

Sorry for the delay been very tied up with my dvd-create project
(dvd-create.sf.net)

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 11:47, Arpi wrote:
> > Backup main feature:
> > Will backup the main feature title set with help of a half smart guessing
> > algo
>
> i've just looked at your code - nice work!

Thanks,

> the main title guessing code/algo would be very usefull for mplayer too,
> when the user don't know which title to play and for the GUI.
> my first thought was that i stip down other parts of your code and import
> it to mplayer tree. but i think you can/will improve it even more, so it
> would be better to share that part. what about splitting dvdbackup.c, and
> make a separate file/lib with all the guessing code?
> anyway, we could include dvdbackup in the TOOLS section of mplayer package.

I can make a API of it if you like, i.e. split the guess part. If you want you
can import the dvdbackup program to mplayer. I have it in CVS (Some bug fixes
made) just see the http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-create/ . Please let
me know what interface you want for the guess function.

Yes, the code could be improved it was just a first shot of a guess algo. When
I get the VMG_TXTDT_MG structure solved it could be a really good one (see
below).

> > dvdbackup also has a info switch that will display:
> > DVD-Video file content of the DVD and  title set information such as
> > aspect ratio, audio tracks, angels, titles in present in the title set
> > and so on....
>
> do you know any way to extract chapter names from a dvd? is it stored in
> ascii form at all?

Yes, on some DVD has it but mostly not. You will find that e.g. Sony makes
DVD's with VMG_TXTDT_MG structures in the VIDEO_TS.IFO - however mostly it's
just the title name info and info about the other titles on the DVD e.g.
directors comments etc. Anyway I'm currently solving this structure it's not
that well documented and dvdread doesn't export it - although when I'm
finished it will :).

Cheers Olaf