[MPlayer-dev-eng] New noise filter from ffdshow

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at KMLinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Sat Aug 10 11:25:28 CEST 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:26:02PM +0200, Milan Cutka wrote:
> GT> ffdshow has a nice noise algo, would be nice to watch my favourite movies
> GT> with mplayer using this noise :)
> GT> For now I have no time to try by myself but If anyone want make
> GT> the porting it would really be nice.
> GT> FFDshow page is:
> GT> http://cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow/
>
> In fact noise algorithms in ffdshow and mplayer are quite similar -
> just some random pattern applied to image and moved between frames.
> But it would be better to implement noise similar to "film effect" in
> DIVX 5.0.2. Some people (including me) think it is nicer than the ffdshow
> noise.

I tried to modify vf_noise to add a moving temporal average of the noise
from several consecutive timesteps and for about three or four steps the
noise looks (imo) very similar to the dx50 film effect. It's pretty
cpu-intensive though.

--
Jindrich Makovicka