[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: UPDATED: A RTSP/ RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Aug 7 11:46:54 CEST 2002

> > Thanks for trying this out; I appreciate the feedback.
>no prob, btw. I tried the testlink you gave and with cache enabled (-cache
>8192) it crashes mplayer

Ah yes, you're right!  Thanks for pointing this out.  The problem here is
that the caching stuff works by calling "stream_read()", but RTP sessions
don't have a 'stream' object behind them (because the data is coming in on
datagram sockets, not from a file or a TCP connection).  So, the best fix
for this will probably be to simply not allow the "-cache" option to be
used on RTP streams.

>  and without it detects an mp3 stream and inits the
>decoder(?), but it never starts playing.

That's odd
         mplayer rtsp://media.schreiner.edu/realmp3.mp3
works just fine for me.

Is it possible that you're behind a firewall that's blocking UDP
packets?  If so, if you fix it to pass UDP packets, you should receive the
stream.

         Ross.