[MPlayer-dev-eng] UPDATED: A RTSP/ RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Aug 5 01:30:49 CEST 2002

FYI, as a result of good feedback from Arpi et al, I have upgraded my RTP
streaming patch for mplayer:
	<http://www.live.com/mplayer/>

The major new feature supported by this new version is RTSP client
support.  You can now open and play a "rtsp://" URL - i.e.,
	mplayer rtsp://...

Other features:
- As with the previous version, a SDP file can also be read, but this now
requires the use of a "-sdp" flag - e.g.
	mplayer -sdp foo.sdp
- The "configure" script now automatically detects whether the "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" libraries have already been installed (in
"/usr/local/lib/live/" or  "/usr/lib/live/").  Alternatively, the developer
can specify the library directory using the new
	--with-livelibdir=<path-to-LIVE.COM-Streaming-Media-library-dir>
option to "configure".
- The existing RTP code (for MPEG-2 Transport Stream streaming) still
exists, and will be compiled, as before, if "LIVE.COM Streaming Media"
support is not enabled.  (However, the LIVE.COM code should be able to
handle these streams also.)
- As before, there is only a single C++ file - "libmpdemux/demux_rtp.cpp" -
that interfaces with the LIVE.COM libraries.  However, this file will be
compiled only if LIVE.COM library support is enabled.  Otherwise, no C++
compiler is needed.
- I made several improvements to the RTP buffering code (in
"libmpdemux/demux_rtp.cpp").  (In particular, the "dp->flags" hack that
Arpi complained about is now gone.)

I would very much like to see this patch included in the official mplayer
sources.  Please let me know if this can be done.

	Ross.

ps. Here's an example RTSP URL that you can play with the new "mplayer":
	rtsp://media.schreiner.edu/realmp3.mp3