[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: reworked cd-dvd.html

Nilmoni Deb ndeb at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 4 23:42:55 CEST 2002

Diego,

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Nilmoni Deb writes:
>  >
>  > 1. "Do not mount VCD disks and play DAT files directly!"
>  >
>  > Many systems surrently have the supermount feature enabled. Which means if
>  > u put a vcd it will be mounted auto. Will that prevent mplayer from
>  > playing the vcd ? Its confusing because if the device is not mounted
>  > mplayer cannot read anything at all. May be the statement should be like:
>  >
>  > Make sure that the VCD is mounted. But do not try to play the mounted DAT
>  > files directly!
>
> Hmm, to be honest I have no idea whether this is true or not..  I need
> to get a VCD for testing.

I checked the latest version (1.34). I still suggest that u change this to
what I suggested. Its kind of obvious that if the system does not mount
the file system, no app can read the files. I remember having played a vcd
only after mounting it.

>  > 2. The title of 4.1 should not be "CD-ROM drives" but something like "VCD
>  > playback" since the info is VCD specific. Obviously, "mplayer -vcd 2" will
>  > not work if u r trying to read an AVI u burnt into a CD-R disc.
>
> Yes, but I would go even further and divide it into 3 sections:
>   4.1 CD-ROM drives
>   4.2 VCD playback
>   4.3 DVD playback

4.1 should be renamed as "CD/DVD drives" because this applies for cd/dvd
read operation which is true for all of these drives: cd, cd-r, cd-rw,
dvd, dvd-r, dvd-rw.