[MPlayer-dev-eng] -dvdkey option obscurities

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Aug 3 21:15:59 CEST 2002

Hi,

> While reviewing cd-dvd.html I stumbled across
>
>   -dvdkey <CSS key>
>          (old-style DVD option) When decoding from  non-DVD,
>          this  option  gives the CSS key needed to crack the
>          DVD (the key is printed  when  authenticating  with
>          DVD).
>
> Which I found extremely confusing..  I guess non-DVD means a VOB
> copied to disk, right?
yes

> This is what I would make of it at the moment:
>
>   -dvdkey <CSS key>
>       (old-style DVD option) When decoding a VOB, this option gives
>       the CSS key needed to crack the VOB (the key is printed when
>       authenticating with the DVD).
>
> Is this complete and correct?  Please somebody enlighten me, so I can

no
there is no 'cracking' at all in old method.
anyway teh cracking process done by new dvdread is done to _get_ the css key,
so the sentense 'CSS key needed to crack' is totaly nonsense.

what about:
   -dvdkey <CSS key>
       (old-style DVD option) When decoding a VOB file copied as-is from a
       DVD, this option gives
       the CSS key needed to decrypt the VOB (the key is printed when
       authenticating with the DVD drive using -dvdauth).

anyway it isn't an enduser option imho, as most endusers do decryption when
copy the vob from the dvd disc (using decss tools or mplayer's -dumpstream)
so they don't need decryption (so css key) when use this already decrypted
vob file

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team