[MPlayer-dev-eng] [ANNOUNCE] MPlayer prerelease RPM packages available for testing

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 30 15:15:24 CEST 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 02:07:25PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > Well, it was compiled with gcc3-3.0.4, so you should have a matching
> > > libgcc. Good to hear it works, though.
> >
> > I've found the answer. It appears that only vidix requires libgcc. So if you
> > don't install vidix, you don't actually need it.
>
> what the hell is libgcc ?
> and what functions are used from it?

IIRC, libgcc contains function calls to emulate some 64bit math as
well as some exception-handling stuff that's mainly used for C++.
Basically, stuff that the compiler should generate inline in the
output program, but that it's too lazy to generate. There may also be
some other stuff. It's an extremely idiotic design. In fact, it also
horribly complicates the process of compiling a cross compiler; I've
never been able to get the gcc build process to compile its own libgcc
for the target platform.

In past gcc versions (2.x), libgcc was static linked so it didn't
really matter so much, but the GCC developers decided they wanted to
be able to break interface compatibility on the C++ crap in it, so
they came up with this brain damaged idea of making it a shared
library, making binary packages have even more nonsense library
version dependencies than before. :~((

OK, end libgcc rant...

Rich