[MPlayer-dev-eng] Runtime CPU detection and fastmemcpy

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Sun Apr 28 11:42:42 CEST 2002

> so it doesn't add dependencies for the user. XVID could easily be
> static linked too, but there may be some license issues remaining with
> it -- be sure to check if you care.
We shouldn't include xvid, for there are no reasons to do it.
 - decoding : lavc is faster, _much more_ bugfree
 - encoding : lavc is faster+better

Let's simplify our life.

> No, dvdkit is part of the mplayer source tree, so no need to make a
> separate package, unless you really insist on it.
Yes, no need for separate package. Not if it would be possible.

> I doubt anyone cares about GGI for most practical purposes. Those who
> want to play with it can compile mplayer themselves for sure.
No GGI needed.

> AFAIK, arts/nas/esd/etc are basically useless with mplayer since they
Yes

> Probably not needed, I think everything works fine with ALSA's OSS
> emulation even if the user is using ALSA sound drivers. Again though,
> wait for more opinions.
Let's not include alsa support, alsa's OSS emulation works in MOST of the
cases.

There are much more interesting problems with sound, that aren't solved, nor
worked on. Like, we should use software mixer by default, and control it with
the / * keys, and we should autodetect if 'resample' plugin usage is needed
(saw some i810 mb's lately and they are 48khz-only, mplayer tries 44khz...),
etc.

> > What about lirc? I don't have it and it's not in the distro.
> Not sure. Anyone else have opinions?
I don't have lirc. Does it work for anyone? :)

> > I suppose I should include vorbis ogg.
> Yeah.
Precisely.

> > And, last but not least, what about win32/dshow codec support?
> This doesn't require any external libraries, so you might as well
> include it.
Yes, include support. BTW most users don't need w32codecs by default,
and if they don't know about it, they won't worry about it :)

> NO. If you use --enable-runtime-detection, the code for all of them
Yes, use ONLY --enable-runtime-detection

--
Gabucino