[MPlayer-dev-eng] Runtime CPU detection and fastmemcpy

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sun Apr 28 11:20:03 CEST 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 10:50:37AM +0200, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 April 2002, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> [snip]
> > > So you're opting for a minimalist package that has a small number
> > > of dependecies? That's fine by me. I'll make all optional features
> > > disabled by default then (one will still be able to use them after
> >
> > nope
> > atmos just said - and i agree - that libavcodec has much better quality than
> > divx4 or xvid, so no much sense of includong those
> > anyway xvid is supported, if yo include it, it doesn't hurt...
>
> OK, but I want to keep the dependencies list small. So it hurts in that
> the user has to install additional packages. And if not including it
> doesn't decrease functionality, then why not just leave it as a build-time
> option?

Are we talking about rpm packages? RedHat does not have dependency information
like Debian where you can 'apt-get install mplayer' and apt will
download&install all depended packages as well?

> OK, but it's not in the distro. I'll have to make a package.
>
> What about GGI, SDL and OpenGL? I can build with the last two. GGI is not
> in the distro.
> What about ALSA, arts and NAS? I can build with arts and I don't think
> there's any point in supporting NAS, it's no longer being developed, AFAIK.
> ALSA is not in the distro, either.

ALSA is quite important for many people (including me), imho. And it's part
of Debian at least. But who knows ... NAS is not so important but what if
someone WANTS this feature? They're quite hard questions ...

> What about lirc? I don't have it and it's not in the distro.
> I suppose I should include vorbis ogg.
> And, last but not least, what about win32/dshow codec support?

Good question. I think this should be somewhat similar than M$ fonts package
in Debian: it's only a downloader package which will download fonts with
wget (or whatever) on install. I don't think so DLLs can be included in
deb/rpm free packages ... However mplayer can work without any vfw or directshow
codecs, so it can be an optional "downloader" package to install DLLs by
donwloading eg from mplayerhq.hu, though I don't know it's legal to distribute
DLLs in the public ... Someone may answer this question, any venturesome
guy here? :)

> "The Universe doesn't give you any points for doing things that are easy."
>         -- Sheridan to Garibaldi in Babylon 5:"The Geometry of Shadows"

nice one :)

- Gábor