[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] Documentation update following lavc internal 2-pass mode commit

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 27 16:21:28 CEST 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:53:37PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:30:15 -0400
> > Robert Edmonds <edmonds at robertedmonds.net> wrote:

> > > afaik DVD MPEG2 VBV buffer size is 224kbyte and VCD MPEG1 VBV buffer
> > > size is 40kbyte.
> >
> > could someone add this to encode.html ?
>
> has no sense, as mencoder cannot mux mpeg files yet

Well it probably wouldn't be hard to rip the streams out of the avi
file (with mplayer itself, for instance) and then use an external mpeg
muxer program. And before you ask "why"...unlike other tools like
ffmpeg that could directly output mpeg files, mencoder can use
mplayer's filters to crop and expand, draw subtitles onto the movie,
etc. So it could be useful to some people. I admit though, it's
probably not that important until the new muxer layer is in place to
allow direct output of mpeg files.

Rich