[MPlayer-dev-eng] idiots with virii

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 26 08:28:20 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I've noticed an unusually large amount of virus/worm traffic on the
> MPlayer lists lately. Are these messages coming from list members...
> and if so, shouldn't these people maybe cease to be list members...?
> *wink*

the main problem is that viruses doesn't really come from their From:

most new-wave viruses uses the 3-point setup: it selects
2 email addresses from the infected machine's address book (some finds
them from web browser's cache) and send virus to address 1 using
address 2 as From:, so even if address 1 sends back a notify message,
the owner of infected machine won't know about it...

i also got messages like 'you sent virus to me, check your machine' but i
doubt that win32 virii work on rs/6000 ppc running aix 4.2...

the only way to avoid these is some level of virus filtering, but it needs
a good and fast virus engine, those aren't free...
i usually add procmail filters for easy-to-detect ones, but some, including
this Klez thingie is hard to detect using text filters

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team