[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer playing to fast ot /me to stupid ?, problem with decoding dvb stream

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at dellingsoft.de
Tue Apr 23 10:22:38 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 09:18, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > if it plays too fast, it happens due to dropped frame before the
> > > mplayer (buffer underruns in card?)
> >
> > Do you mean the output buffer of the dvb card ?
>
> input
> maybe your code cannot read data fast enough. dunno, just an idea
>
> > > or your audio card plays too fast (mplayer sync
> > > video to audio, using the audio card's timer as reference).
> > > it's known to happen with some ESS Maestro cards, maybe with others too
> >
> > CMedia CM8738, OSS 4Front Technologies commercial driver.
> >
> > Can you give me a hint how I can debug this ?
>
> try to force a bit (few %) lower audio rate with -srate
>

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Ok, using -srate 44100 caused the buffer to fill up quite fast, then mplayer
dropped a frame from time to time.
-srate 46000 had the same effect
with -srate 47000 it worked as without setting it explicitely

I played an mp3 file once with -srate 44100 and once with -srate 45000 (time
mplayer -srate 45000 /file.mp3), and in both cases it took 2:33.5 :-/
I tried with 48.000 and 47.000, and both took 2:21 :-(
It seems this soundcard doesn't support arbitrary sampling rates (are there
actually soundcards which support this?)

The ioctl(SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED,srate); doesn't change the srate parameter, if I
give it 47.000 it stays 47.000, although it seems to set the actual sampling
rate to 48.000 :-(

So, what to do ?
Throw away the soundcard ?
Or should I try to insert a delay somewhere in mplayer, which could be
adjusted via a command line parameter ? If yes, could you give me a hint
where to look ?

Bye
Alex