[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer playing to fast ot /me to stupid ?, problem with decoding dvb stream

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at dellingsoft.de
Tue Apr 23 09:04:52 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 08:49, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I don't see what could be wrong here. I have the impression that mplayer
> > is playing slightly to fast, or it drops frame when it shouldn't.
>
> it never drops unless you use -framedrop

I meant  "... or when using -framedrop it drops frames, which it shouldn't
drop IMO" ;-)

> > I also tried the option "-fps 24" or another rate, but mplayer always
> > autodetects 25 fps.
>
> no, -fps works. it prints fps from header but uses -fps for timer
> (printing what you give it has no sense)

Ah, ok.

> if it plays too fast, it happens due to dropped frame before the mplayer
> (buffer underruns in card?)

Do you mean the output buffer of the dvb card ?
Well, as you saw in the code, as soon as there is something I read it, and it
starts to get jerky when my buffer handler is empty, i.e. the reading is not
delayed because I have no free buffers around.
(at least I hope/think/am quite sure that this is what my code does).

> or your audio card plays too fast (mplayer sync
> video to audio, using the audio card's timer as reference).
> it's known to happen with some ESS Maestro cards, maybe with others too

CMedia CM8738, OSS 4Front Technologies commercial driver.

Can you give me a hint how I can debug this ?

Thanks
Alex