[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] lavc ME parameter handling cleanup & 2 little fixes

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 22 04:34:13 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 03:09:10AM +0200, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm cross-posting since this patch touch both mplayer and
> libavcodec. Hope you don't mind ...
>
> For libavcodec :
> - move Motion_Est_QTab[] to mpegvideo.c, since there's no need to
>   store it as many times as one include "avcodec.h" ;
> - use symbolic names instead of numbers in this array.
>
> For mplayer :
> - use Motion_Est_QTab[] from libavcodec so that the "vme" parameter is
>   now quality-oriented (0 = no ME, 1..5 = fastest to slowest, worst to
>   best). IMHO it's way more intuitive than the previous ordering ;
> - don't use 4MV with B frames as it's buggy right now.
> - don't use 4MV in "-pass 1" since it's not supported by lavc
>   (same problem as HQ mode). Symptoms : libavcodec refuse to allocate
>   context in MPV_encode_init() and mencoder crash at the fist call to
>   MPV_encode_picture().
>
> PS: You are free to tell me that I'm on crack :-)

You are on crack.

Seriously, don't reorder the ME methods. Your reordering doesn't even
make sense. AFAIK, LOG and PHODS are considerably slower AND lower
quality than EPZS! FULL may or may not be better than EPZS.

In any case, the MPlayer people (read Arpi) will NOT (!!) like you
renumbering things.

Rich